I can't speak Chinese. Is that a problem?

You can teach English in China without knowing how to speak Chinese. While knowing some is certainly helpful, often there is the option of having a Chinese teaching assistant to help with giving instructions and translating as needed. 


Will I have enough money to support myself?

Income: Schools offer a competitive monthly salary of $3,000~$5,000 depending on location, teaching experience and qualifications. (Most schools offer free furnished housing often conveniently located close to schools). To put your income into perspective, the average monthly salary for Chinese Locals in Beijing and Shanghai is $1,100 and $450~$850 for small and medium sized cities. 

Cost of Living: Typical monthly spending required for comfortable lifestyle in China is about a third of what it would cost in the U.S..

  • Rent $450+ for a nice one bedroom apartment in Beijing or Shanghai (usually covered by school). 

  • Food & Drinks $300 (food is cheap in China and this $300 budget includes occasionally dining in fine restaurants)

  • Transportation: $50 (train travel is amazingly fast and cheap)

  • Mobile & Internet: $50 (China has much faster internet service and competitive wireless service providers)

  • Misc (Toiletries, snacks, clothing, etc.): $200

  • Utilities: $50

  • Entertainment: $150

  • Travel: $200


Total cost $700


This means you can save or spend an additional ~$2,000 every month!  

Are there tutoring jobs available for additional income?

Absolutely! Once you have started teaching at your school, you will probably learn about multiple opportunities for tutoring to make some extra money. If you're a good tutor, you can make about $38/hr. On average, tutors charge between $20~$50/hr. 

What's my upfront expenses?

You are responsible for the upfront costs of a plane ticket to China, passport fees (if applicable) and visa fees (including a background check, physical exam and visa application). The flight ticket will be reimbursed upon completion of 1 year contract. 

What are my working hours?

Teachers teach 20-40 hours a week. Time is also spent planning and doing other administrative duties. Saturdays and Sundays are the busiest days at private English training schools so teachers at these schools are required to work both days. You will receive 2 consecutive days off during the week to serve as your "weekend".

How much paid time off do I get?

Teachers working for an international school will typically have around 2-month summer & 1 month winter paid time off plus 11 working days of public holidays.

How do I apply for a work visa and what documents do I need?

You can apply a work visa in person or have someone else apply on your behalf (e.g. family members, friends, or visa service). You cannot mail in your application directly to the Embassy/Consulate. Most travel agencies in Chinatown will apply on your behalf for a small fee. 

To apply for a work visa, below documents are required:

  • Current resume

  • Diploma

  • Valid passport (click here for information on how to apply for one)

  • Multiple copies of 2"x2" passport style photo

  • Physical Examination Record (to be completed and stamped by your physician)

  • Background check (from a local police station)

Your work visa expires at the end of your 1 year contract.

Does my visa allow me to travel throughout China and other countries?

Once you arrive in China with your visa, we will assist you in getting your residence permit which allows you to enter and exit China freely. Please check visa requirements for the other countries that you plan on visiting. 

How safe is China?

We offer teaching jobs in first and second tier Chinese cities, meaning they have very low crime rates and many perks of city living.  China has much more strict drug and gun laws than the US, with gun violence practically non-existent.